Friday, October 16, 2009

Feast on the Word






Last week, Filly Puppy gained a new insight into the word of God. When it said ‘feast on the Word of God’ I think he took it quite literally. We came home to find my Bible covering the living room floor. I don’t think two pages were still connected or in one piece!

It’s not like he had torn up a magazine, or a book … it’s the Bible for goodness sake - it's Holy! You can’t tear up a Bible – poor Filly’s goin’ straight to Hell!!!

The next morning, I got up, fixed my coffee and sat in my ‘quiet spot’. I reached for my Bible and … it wasn’t there!! I remembered the scene from the day before - and then looked over at sweet Filly sitting happily at my feet with a bone in his mouth!

What was I going to do?? This is what I do every morning. I sit down with a cup of coffee and read my Bible. And there is no Bible … and for a moment, I was lost without my Bible … or was I lost without my routine??

So, I took a sip of my coffee, and said “Ok, God … now what?” He reminded me that while reading His word is a very good thing, I still have to talk with Him. Thinking about my morning routine, I realized that I couldn’t tell you what I’d read the day before … or the day before that. I was reading, but I was in such a routine, I was just going through the motions. That’s not what I intended to be doing.

I thought about other aspects in my day … my time with Morgan, tasks at work, nighttime routines – and realized that there were many areas in my life that I needed to look at with a different set of eyes.

There is a big difference between ‘looking’ and ‘seeing’ … between ‘listening’ and ‘hearing’. Sometimes we get so comfortable … so familiar with the routine of our day, we forget to actually pay attention to what we’re doing… or not doing. I ‘heard’ Morgan say ‘Mom, can we watch a movie tonight’. Gotta fix dinner, do homework, clean up the kitchen, take care of the critters, bath... What?? Watch a movie??? I heard her … what I didn’t do was listen to the fact that it wasn’t a movie she was wanting … it was 2 hours of my undivided attention.

We did end up watching a movie that night … other things could wait.

Take some time this weekend to think about your routines … your comfort zones. It’s gonna be cold and rainy – a perfect time to reflect on life! Make sure that you are getting the most out of what you are doing – whether it be quiet time with God or noisy time with your children – give it your undivided attention!

No comments: