Thursday, December 24, 2009

My 4 year old Christmas

It was quite a few years ago, on a very cold Christmas Eve night. I was four years old, at best. As I walked into the sanctuary of our small-town church, trying to keep my wings on straight, I saw a scene that I had heard about in the weeks prior. There was a bright star hanging on the curtain - sheep and cattle placed around a tiny manger where a baby would soon lay. I remember being cold, and excited, and afraid. Perhaps that was how the Shepherds felt when they saw an angel appear before them.




I'm sure that my parents told me not to be afraid ... that I would do just fine in the Christmas pagent. I'm sure they hugged me, comforted me and wrapped me warmly on that cold night. I know they did - not because I remember - but because that is the very same thing I did for my daughter. And it is the very same thing that God did when his Son was born. He sent comfort and warmth and love. He sent a bright and shining star to interrupt the cold darkness. He sent angels to calm the fears and to praise the birth of His son.



Isn't it comforting to know that God never changes? He still hears our praises, calms our fears and provides the light in the midst of the darkness we encounter. It may not be in the form of angels from Heaven - it may be a hug from a mother; a kind word from a friend; or a smile from a stranger on the street ... but God's love for us is always present. When our hearts are turned towards God, He will always calm our fears.



Gracious Father, help us to remember the birth of your Son ... a light in the darkness to guide us to you. Hear our praises, oh Lord, as we rejoice in knowing that you hear us as clearly as the Shepherds who praised you so long ago. Guide us, Lord, through this Christmas season. Help us to slow down and remember that You have already given the greatest gift. No gift we purchase, no dinner we cook, no card we write can compare to the gift of Eternal Life that you have given us through your son, Jesus Christ. May each gift we give, each meal we serve and each card we send allow us to reflect your light into the hearts of those we meet. -Amen

No comments: