Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Be careful what you pray for!




God has such perfect timing – and a great sense of humor! Dad and his wife were planning on visiting for Christmas. The plan was (or so I thought) to arrive at my house from Texas ‘by Friday’. So, I took off from work on Tuesday and had a plan! I was going to get Morgan’s birthday cake made, clean the house up a bit, make sure their room was ready and do a little shopping.

The first kink in my plan came when Morgan came home from school with a stomach bug. But that’s ok – I confined her to her room and threatened her within an inch of her life if she came downstairs! So, I called dad. ‘How’s the trip coming along … how far have you gotten?’ The last time I’d talked to him, they were in Louisiana. ‘Oh, pretty good’ he said. ‘When do you think you’ll be here’ I asked; thinking ‘By Friday means Thursday … maybe Wednesday night. ‘Oh, about 4 hours … we just crossed into North Carolina!’ WHAT?!?!!? Tuesday is NOT ‘by Friday’. Tuesday is ‘by Wednesday’!!

So, I called in some reinforcements! And I called on God. ‘Good, Lord’ I said, ‘I’m not ready … I need a little more time’. I didn’t have time to get Morgan’s cake done and get their room ready in the few hours it would take them to get here.

Now, one thing I know. If mom is in Heaven and can give me anything … she’d give me a chance to clean something!! About an hour later, I got a call from dad … the truck was over heating, and they were going to the dealership to have it looked at. Perfect! That little ‘inconvenience’ gave me a few more hours to get everything done and ready for them when they walked in the door that night! Thanks, mom … but really, you didn’t have to break dad’s truck!

God knows what He is doing, and it will always be right on time. It doesn’t matter what we do … we can leave early, leave late, get stuck or break down – and we will always be there right when God wants us there. Sometimes we might be in the truck that breaks; sometimes we might be the one needing more time. Sometimes we might just be the car dealer – but we are all a part of his plan. God does have a plan for you – trust it!

No comments: