Friday, March 13, 2009

Bring on the rain!




I try to take one day at a time – but this week, I think they all ganged up on me at one time!

Ever felt like ‘when it rains, it pours!’ I can see a few of you nodding emphatically, even as I type!! There has been so much uncertainty lately - in our employment, our economy - even in the weather! Do I wear shorts or mittens today??? It all seems to be coming down at once. I was feeling like that, and I thought about Noah. I wonder if he felt that way? I wonder if he got tired from building an Ark that everyone laughed about. Maybe he got frustrated with the animals – maybe the fox was chasing the chickens and the children were arguing about who gets to ride the pony next. Maybe he looked at the falling rain and looked up at God and asked ‘will it ever end?’

Then I thought about God’s promise. His promise to never send a flood again. Maybe it’s a stretch, but I can’t help but smile when I think He must have meant the down-pours that we experience in our lives, too. We may have rainy days in our lives – maybe even 40 of them – and it may all come down at one time – BUT God promised He would not send a flood. So that must mean, that even though things are going crazy, God isn’t going to let us drown. He’s going to see us through, and there will be a rainbow at the end of this storm as clearly as there was a rainbow for Noah.



Whether it’s physical rain, freezing rain, emotional rain, or just a bad case of the gloomies – God won’t send the flood. But - he didn't say he wouldn't send mud puddles. Many of us personally are struggling in some pretty deep mud puddles. We, as a nation, are spinning in the ruts of a really big mud puddle. The church is spinning her wheels in a mud puddle. BUT we won't flood. We will gain traction and find our way out of the mud ... maybe not the way we want to, but we will make it out. This, too, shall pass – and there will be a rainbow at the end – to remind us that God was with us the whole time, to remind us that He keeps his promises, and to remind us that we are still his children.

Isn’t it great to know that God will always see us through even the darkest of days!!

No comments: