Friday, April 10, 2009

Without Thursday, there is no Sunday




Happy Good Friday!

As I was coming into work this morning, I was thinking about what to write – on this Good Friday … as we begin Easter weekend. I had written a few notes of things that crossed my mind over the past couple of weeks (blessings to the one who created post-its!) and had them stuck on my computer. I wasn’t thinking, however, that I had brought my wonderful daughter to work with me for a few hours yesterday, and momentarily left her unattended in my office. In her boredom, she decided to clean my desk for me! Now, I know at least one person who is now laughing hysterically … Morgan lovingly cleaned her desk for her once!! Not surprisingly, I have no idea where my post-its are at the moment!

So, I thought I’d see what I wrote last year on Good Friday. Seems that it was a year ago that my mom found herself at MCV with respiratory failure and a heart attack. Wow – that was a year ago! Wow!

Earlier this week, I talked to one of my best friends from high school – one that I haven’t talked to in years and years. Memories of snowball fights, water balloons, driving my dad’s old blue truck … great memories from those awkward teenage years came back like they were yesterday.

I was recently going through some old pictures – and stumbled across a picture of me when I was about 6 years old – that even Morgan thought was a picture of her! But I remember that picture being taken – I remember what I was doing – running and playing in the yard … not a care in the world!

Funny thing is, all of the memories … from mom’s hospital visit, to high school, to elementary school … they were all great memories – things that looking back, made me smile. Those memories that floated to the surface were warm and positive and good.

Now … if I think about it … I can remember how scared I was when the doctor said they were going to intubate mom last year. If I really dig deep, I can recall the broken hearts, the insecurities, and the struggles in high school. I can even find, if I look hard enough, the fears of elementary school. But I have to consciously dig into my memory to find them. Just like cream rises to the top of the glass, the good memories are the ones that resurface when we recall them.

How does that tie into Easter?? What do you think about when we talk about Easter? Pretty dresses and bonnets, eggs, candy and picnics. We also think about Jesus’ resurrection, our salvation and are thankful as we celebrate with church services, family and friends. It is a wonderful celebration of what Jesus did for us! But dig a little deeper … consciously look harder … there was a reason that Jesus was able to be resurrected – because He died on the cross. We see the awesome benefit that we are able to enjoy – and that is what He wants us to do. But let’s not forget the other side of the resurrection. Let’s not forget that Jesus suffered and died because He loves us. Don’t forget that while Sunday is a day of celebration and rejoicing, it came at a very steep price – one that was paid for us.

Although it feels wonderful to recall all of the positive memories from our lives, at some point, we need to look at the whole picture … look at the heartbreaks as well. If we don’t, we start to take them for granted – we forget the struggles and suffering that make us who we are. If we forget the struggles and suffering that Jesus endured for us, we take Him for granted. Without the suffering on Thursday, Sunday is only about the bonnets and the bunnies.

Celebrate Sunday … laugh and create awesome memories with your family and friends. Enjoy the egg hunts and picnics. Celebrate the resurection and the love that Jesus had for us. Be thankful for the salvation that we have because of this day. But take a moment aside, and remember the reason for the celebration. Remember just how much we have to be thankful for!

No comments: