Friday, April 15, 2011

My Genesis Week

I have really appreciated my quiet time with God in the mornings lately. It seems like I’m getting overwhelmed everywhere I turn. That quiet time gives me a chance to settle my thoughts and re-group. I stumbled upon this verse recently (or did God say … ‘hey, read this’) and it has really made me stop and think…






“God, make a fresh start in me, shape a Genesis week from the chaos of my life” Psalm 51:11 (The Message)




A Genesis week?? Hmm … God created … well … everything in a week. Certainly He could sort out the chaos in my life in a ‘Genesis week’. Those words have been bouncing around in my head – ‘fresh start’ ‘chaos’ ‘shape’ ‘Genesis week’. God spoke the world into existence. As much as I wish I could speak clean laundry into existence … it’s not gonna happen that way.



God can help me shape my own ‘Genesis week’. I can shape the chaos into a fresh start. Now, since God isn’t going to do it for me … I need a little more than six days to get my chaos under control!



Sunday is a day of rest … but not ‘sit on the couch and watch tv’ kind of rest. It’s a rest, pray, reflect, and shape day. Every Sunday for the next 6 weeks I am going to choose a part of my life that has a little chaos that needs controlling. God did it in 6 days, I’m shooting for 6 weeks. I’ll spend Sunday praying about my goal, reflecting on what I’ve done wrong (or right) in the past, and create a plan to get it under control. For the next 6 days, I’ll put that plan in motion.



This Sunday, I’m going to start with something very visible … my house. Morgan will be gone, so it will be the perfect time to bring some of the clutter and chaos under control. Sunday, I’ll relax, pray and put a plan together. Maybe it will be one room per night. Maybe it will be wash everything … laundry, sheets, curtains, one night and dust, mop, windows another night. I don’t know … I’ll figure the plan on Sunday. Then I’ll follow that plan throughout the week.



Next Sunday, I’ll rest, pray, reflect and shape another portion of my life. Maybe it’ll be finances, or my spiritual life, work life, time management, habits that I want to change. There are lots of different parts of our life … we all wear many hats. Perhaps, if we focus on one hat at a time … and shape a Genesis week for each hat … we can turn some of the chaos into a fresh start!



After all, God organized the chaos of an entire universe. With His help … prayer, commitment and a plan … we can organize a bit of the chaos in our lives!


No comments: