Friday, June 5, 2009

In a minute





Sorry I’m so late today! Normally I take time out during the day to talk to God – and it’s usually during those conversations that these messages are sent - but today has been one of those crazy days where things pile up on top of each other and I find myself saying “I’ll do it in just a minute.” Ever have a day like that?? If you've got kids – I know the answer to that!! And I’m sure you’ve heard it just as many times as you’ve said it (or thought it).

God is very patient, though. He waits for us to find those ‘minutes’ to sit down and talk with Him. Unlike our kids ... when we tell them to do something and they say ‘in a minute’ ... 10 minutes later we remind them ...‘in a minute’ ...and ten minutes later…. Finally, it comes to ‘NO – get up and do it RIGHT NOW!” And they look at us like ‘fine, you don’t have to yell!!”

Sometimes I feel that gentle nudge – God reminding me that I need to spend time with Him. And sometimes I say ‘in a minute’. God waits patiently (much more patiently than I wait for Morgan!) and gives another nudge. Sometimes, though, God has to yell at us, too. Sometimes He yells at us individually – like when mom was in the hospital – and I sat in the waiting room talking up a storm to God. At that moment, there wasn’t anything more important. And it’s in those times that I look back over days like today and wonder – really – is today any different than that day? Are these things that I do in the course of a day ... laundry, work, dinner – are they any more important than God? Of course not!!

Sometimes, though, He yells at us collectively – like April, 2 years ago at Va. Tech, and on 9/11. Those are the times in our lives when God has said “No – you’re gonna do it RIGHT NOW!” I don’t think there were too many ‘wait a minutes’ on those days.



It is in the moments like these – individually and collectively, that we get a stark reality check. There may not be a ‘next minute’. There will come a point where that minute – that very minute – will be the last one. Although we ‘know’ that it will be a long ways off. We ‘know’ that Jesus is not gonna come back tomorrow – one day – we’ll be wrong. One day there won't be a tomorrow. One minute there won't be a next minute.


Take some time this weekend ... and next week ... to spend some time with God. Sit down in quiet contemplation, prayer and ask Him to show you the path He wats you to go on. We'd get a lot farther down the path God wants us on if we took the time to listen to Him a little more!


No comments: