Friday, June 12, 2009

Enjoy what you have, where you are ... right now!




Well, this is it – the last day of school!

How can that be – it seems like it just began!! Soon it will be (and stay) warm, the sun beating down on your face. I enjoy Summer- except for the fact that the kids get to stay home and I still have to work! . I don’t much like Winter – unless we get lots of snow. But it has to be enough snow to close schools AND work!! It just seems a waste to me to be so cold, and have no snow!

Then Spring will come along, and everything in nature will start to come alive again – and then we’re back at Summer again! We’re fortunate in this part of the world, to be able to have 4 distinct seasons. Although Spring and Autumn are getting shorter and shorter!

Our lives are sort of like the seasons – always changing. And just like we’re never happy with the climate, we are usually not happy with where we are in life. When it’s summer it’s too hot – and we can’t wait to play in the snow. When winter gets here, we can’t wait to go swimming.

It’s the same thing in our lives. When we’re little, we can’t wait to ride the big yellow school bus. As we get a little older, we can’t wait to be old enough to stay at home alone. Then we can’t wait to drive! Then we can’t wait to be out of school.



Hindsight is very different, though. We start wishing we were back in school ... suddenly, with the biggest responsibility in our life of keeping our room clean ... doesn't sound so bad! Now I can drive ... or rather sit in traffic - and the cost of gas, insurance, car payments ... make us long for those simpler days of childhood!


So by the time you get to ‘our age’ – whatever age that might be for you – you would think that we’d learn not to wish away the time and enjoy what we’ve got. Nope! I wish it was towards the end of summer– so all of my construction woes would be behind me! I wish it was Christmas so that I’d have a couple weeks off. I wish Jesus would come back so we could all go Home! But we’ve got to stop wishing our lives away – and enjoy each precious moment that we have. We’ll have good times, sad times, content times, stressful times, joyful times, and did I mention stressful times?? But there is something special about each of those times. If we are too busy wishing them away, we miss the purpose that God has for us in that moment. If I am always wanting the beautiful Spring flowers, and the sun beating down on my face, I miss the uniqueness of each individual snowflake. I miss the comfort that a warm fire and hot cocoa can bring.

Take a minute and think about where you are right now – where you are in your life. Enjoy that. Enjoy where you are; where your family is; where your passions are. Enjoy what you have right now – not what you had before, and not what you might have later – take time to appreciate what you have, and where God has you – right this very minute.

No comments: