Friday, December 5, 2008

Christmas Gifts






Not that very long ago – on Halloween night – one of my neighbors had a piece of paper with a cute little casper-like ghost on it – that said ‘Tag – you’ve been tagged by the Halloween Ghost - have a safe and wonderful night – or something like that! It magically appeared on her door. I thought it was cute – and thought – hmmm – that would be really neat to do at Christmas time! I thought it would be a great way to spread a little Christmas cheer; a hint of mystery; and the word of God – all in one fell swoop!!

So, I wrote a little poem, got a few little gifts (cute candles – 2/$1 – ‘cause Jesus is the light of the world) and secretly placed them on a few of my neighbors doorsteps! I intentionally chose three neighbors – one that is cranky and I don’t like very much; one that I don’t know at all; and one that is a friend.

How neat, I thought – and hope that it will spread about through the neighborhood. Then I got a little tap on the shoulder – tap, tap, tap – “hey, Shell – why don’t you put the idea in your ramblings?!?!?!”

Now, why would I want to do that?!?! It was my idea!!! Then another tap - “Um, no it wasn’t – it was Jesus’ idea – remember the whole ‘love your neighbor’ thing?!?!?!’

Good point! And wouldn’t it be much neater to have all of Mechanicsville – and beyond – waking up with little surprises on their doorstep, than just my little block!! After all – that’s what ‘love your neighbor’ means – no one said property lines had to touch to be a neighbor!! And you all already know that I love you and you’re in my prayers!

So, with that being said – attached is the little poem I wrote. Here’s how it works: Make a few copies of the poem (or retype it) Next, find an inexpensive gift and secretly place them on the doorstep (or mailbox or whatever) of your neighbors – near or far! Don’t get caught – and don’t sign it – it’s a secret! Remember it’s not about the gift, so don’t go all out - the Dollar Tree works great – in fact, a card works just as well – or just the note if you want to.

Be intentional about who you share with – it’s great to give it to friends – and people that you know will pass it on. But remember, Jesus didn’t say to love the neighbors we know and like – give it to someone you don’t know – or someone you don’t particularly care for – like the neighbor with the dog that eats your flowers in the spring! Jesus will take care of the rest!




Here's the poem.....



Hello, neighbor, and Merry Christmas
I hope the season is going well!
Sit back a minute – take a break,
I have a tale to tell!

Santa comes around every year
And gifts he always brings.
But the meaning isn’t always found
In those new and costly things.

Jesus gave us the best three gifts –
Faith, hope and love they are.
And asked only that we share them
With our neighbors near and far.

God said ‘love your neighbor’
So I give this gift to you.
Along with all my hope and faith
That your Christmas dreams come true.

Know that you are in my prayers,
My neighbor and my friend,
And pass along your love and prayers
To a neighbor on your end!

It takes only a moment of your day
To send this little note
And perhaps give the greatest of gifts
Of love and faith and hope!


I’ve secretly delivered this gift – and my prayers – to you and two other neighbors – near or far. My hope is that you remember the gifts that we’ve been given that can’t be found in Wal-Mart or on e-bay. Enjoy this Christmas season – and enjoy all the things that Christmas is really about.

If you can – pass a copy of this note, and a small gift or card to three of your ‘neighbors’. Be careful not to get caught! Remember, it’s not about the gift and it’s not about the giver – it’s about sharing the gifts we already have – giving someone a little faith in their world; a little hope in their future; and a little love in their heart!





No comments: