Monday, December 1, 2008

Countdown to Christmas














Well, here we are – the very last Friday of November! Monday, we will be in December – and you know what that means?!!? The countdown to Christmas begins!

I wonder what Mary was thinking on this day, two thousand years ago. There was no ‘countdown’ yet. I wonder if she sat with her hand on her belly thinking ‘just one more month.’ I wonder if she realized just how special this baby would be. There was a quote in the movie The Nativity Story – Mary said “I wonder when it will happen, I wonder when he will be more than just a child”. I know that before Morgan was born, I dreamed of what she would be like – what color her hair would be, would she be tall, what her passions would be, what would she want to do with her life – her dreams and her thoughts; and what kind of impact she will have on the world. I would talk to her and tell her how much I loved her – even before I laid my eyes on her. I wonder what Mary whispered to her baby; what she dreamed about for him. I wonder what kind of impact she thought he would have on this world!

As you rush through the malls, the grocery store, e-bay and prepare for Christmas this year, stop and think about what Mary was doing to prepare for this day. I’m pretty sure that it wasn’t thawing a turkey and fighting the crowds at Toys-R-Us!

Take time to think about that last month before your child was born. Think about what you and your family were like – what you did and thought, what you dreamed about and prayed about as you counted down those last days before your child entered the world. Remember what those whispers were, what those prayers were; that feeling of hope that your baby would bring into your lives. Remember the anticipation, the excitement and the fear as you counted down the days before you would hold your baby in your arms. Relive those memories – and share that with your child.

God gave us three things – faith, hope and love. I don’t think I ever felt that so strongly as the day my daughter was born. I remember looking at her for the first time – so tiny; so perfect; so innocent – it took my breath away. If I was so overwhelmed by the hope and love that my baby brought into my life – I can only imagine what Mary felt like when she first saw her baby!

PS - it only takes a minute to get from the first picture to this one!!

God Bless,



Michele

No comments: