Monday, January 5, 2009

The benefit of Broyhill




Happy New Year! I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!

I learned some things this past week that I thought I’d share. Partly because it tells how God is always present in our life – even in the small stuff – and also because I thought you could use a good laugh!!

I learned 2 things – the first is this: If God says it’s not going to happen … it’s not going to happen … period! The second thing is that Broyhill makes awesome furniture!

Here’s how it started – Dad and his wife, Debbie are leaving for an around-the-country journey – so I got most of their furniture. They had a really neat plum colored sofa that would look awesome in my room – on the second floor. Now, at the top of the stairs is a small landing – with Morgan’s room to the left and mine to the right. Are you picturing this??? We measured the sofa, measured the door, measured the landing at the top – and it would fit! Yea! Famous last words, right!!

We got the sofa up the stairs and managed to squeeze it onto the landing vertically – with the idea to kick the bottom out into my room, let the other end fall into Morgan’s and go straight in. As we tried this little maneuver, we realized that it doesn’t matter if you have a 12 inch hole and a 6 inch peg – if God doesn’t want it to go – it ain’t goin’!! Now – at this point, Dad is in Morgan’s room, I’m in mine, and the couch is wedged between the walls of the landing – and neither of us can get out. Promptly upon realizing that not only was the couch stuck, so were we – mom calls “Lunch is ready – hurry before it gets cold!!” Are ya lauging yet???

Now , one of two things has to happen – it either has to go in the room or it’s going to the dump – ‘cause it’s not going anywhere else. So we decided to try to break a corner lose – and hope that it could be put back together in my room.

I thought if we broke the bottom arm off, it might give enough room to slide it in – so I jumped up and down on the arm … it didn’t break. Maybe if dad pushed and I pulled, and twisted the frame, it would break the bottom of the frame. So he pushed – back against the couch, feet on the wall – and I pulled … it didn’t break. Ok, maybe if we take a hammer and pry the corner apart, it will fit … the hammer snapped in half!

It was at this point that we sat down (something we should have done to start with) and said “God, what now???” God was the only one that was gonna move this couch! It was either pray or climb out the window and find a chain saw! And after everything else, I think God would have made that break, too! So we asked God for help – and not surprisingly – he did! It took God and a 3 foot crowbar to break the corner of the sofa enough to get it in my room.

But now what – we’ve torn it to pieces – and it’s in my room. So dad put ONE piece of wood on the bottom – didn’t even nail it – screwed the legs back on and flipped it over. And you know what – it’s probably STILL the strongest piece of furniture I have!!

So, what’s the moral of the story?? It isn’t OUR plan that works. It’s God’s plan. Many times we have the proverbial square peg to fit in the round hole – and sometimes, against all logic – God makes it work. But there are other times – where there’s a perfectly sized round hole and a round peg – but if God says ‘no’ – well – now you know what happens!! Ask God what to do, first – not halfway through – when there aren’t any other options! Oh, and if you want good furniture – buy Broyhill!!

1 comment:

~ Denise ~ said...

Nice post. I can almost see the struggle at the top of the stairs! Can't wait to get back home and maybe we can catch up. ;)

Happy New Year chickie!